The study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada.Your study permit is not a visa. It alone doesn’t allow you to enter Canada. You may also need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. This extra time lets you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

If you can’t finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit).

You have completed your studies either
On the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) or
When you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If your school asked you to take some courses before they will accept you into the main program (conditional acceptance). Your study permit will only be issued for the length of these courses. When you get accepted into the main program, you can apply to extend your stay as student from within Canada.

To study in Canada each candidate must
Enrol at a designated learning institution (DLI)
Show proof that have enough money to pay for:
Tuition fees
Living expenses
Return transportation

Obey the law, have no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada.
Be in good health.
Convince an immigration officer that he will leave Canada at the end of the studies.

Consultation request

Fill out this form and discover your visa options

Open chat
Can we help you?